Armed forces healthcare

The NHS has published a range of information to help serving military personnel and veterans access the health services they need. Find out more about how the NHS can help you if you're in military service, a veteran or a family member of someone who is serving or who has served here.

Serving personnel receive their mental health care through services commissioned by the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

Mental health services work alongside community-based mental health services, to ensure they follow national best practice guidelines.

Care is offered at military Departments of Community Mental Health (DCMH) across the UK (and smaller centres abroad), which provide outpatient mental health care. Inpatient mental health care services in the UK are provided under contract by a partnership of eight NHS Trusts including Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust. Click here for more information.

Serving personnel can also call the Military Mental Health Helpline on 0800 323 4444.

More information on mental health services available to support serving military personnel is available here.

Op COURAGE: The Veterans Mental Health and Wellbeing Service

If you or someone you know is struggling with their mental health or wellbeing, expert help is available from Op COURAGE: The Veterans Mental Health and Wellbeing Service.

You can contact the service yourself or ask your GP, a charity or someone else, such as a family member or friend, to do this for you. The service will arrange for you to have an assessment, to make sure you get the right care and support. 

Op COURAGE can help your family get care and support from local services. With your permission, they can also be involved in your care plan.

Call 020 3317 6818 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. More information is available here.

Urgent support

If you experience a mental health crisis you can contact Op COURAGE or 

  • call 111
  • book an emergency GP appointment
  • Visit an Emergency Department or call 999 if it is an emergency